Welcome
Welcome to the HardCore Kayak Anglers Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

My Tarpon!

Share your fishing trip and photos of your fish or the beautiful outdoors here with us! No need to provide exact locations but everyone loves a good fishing report.

My Tarpon!

Postby mrpj1972 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Well here's my Fish-N-Munch report. I had recently picked up a second hand Hobie livewell & was excited about getting to use it instead of dragging a bait bucket. When I showed up almost an hour before launch, I was shocked that I wasn't the first one there. Either way after a quick look at the noise coming from the crashing waves I realized it wasn't as bad as it sounded. I unloaded & hung out for the remainder of the group to show. After pushing off into the surf I turned on the pump to the livewell & it quickly topped off & worked exactly as it should. While that was going I already had my sabiki rig in the water jigging for some bait. After about 45 minutes or so I finally had a couple takers on the rig. I got one nice 4" thread fin & one lizard fish. After ditching the lizard fish I loaded my 7/0 hook with the unlucky thready. I peddled around for a bit longer trying to get some more bait for the livewell, but was getting anxious to start paying out some line to start my troll. I slipped my float on my line just above my leader knot & sent the bait on its way. After hearing a lot of radio chatter of rolling Tarpon I figured it would be any moment before someone hooked up. Little did I know that would be me. I had just picked up another rod & started throwing a top water to kill some time when I noticed my baited rod tip start a slow but definite bend. Just as reached for it I heard the big splash behind me telling me that I was hooked up. I grabbed the rod adjusted the drag & adjusted my rudder to prepare for the sleigh ride. Then I called out on the radio "Fish on!". I managed to get my GoPro's turned on & recording fairly quickly. The fish turned me to the North & didn't look back until just about a mile away from the launch area. We then started circling a 20' hole that I could see on my chart plotter. I thought that it was odd & made a mental note to consider that fact for future Tarpon hunts. After what seemed like an hour, which it turned out it was, the fish finally started showing its belly telling me it was time to give up. After getting a very educational tip from my friend Russ "put a death grip on its lower jaw!" I got a good handle on it to safely remove the hook. Russ took care of getting the glamour shots so I could start the revive process that is one of our top priorities. I got a good peddle going while holding the fish along side my kayak. A couple of stiff head shakes & I could no longer hang on. The fish swam away looking very healthy. I on the other hand was completely beat. After cleaning up a bit & sorting my gear I started the long trek back to the group. There was no way I was going to try for a second one so I hung out on the water in hopes of witnessing someone else hook up. There were other hook ups but they happened while I was contending with mine. The day was over for me. Returned to shore to share the story with the rest of the group. So happy to check off this bucket list catch with a great group of fellow fishermen.
Report stats & guesstimates:
Rod= 6'6" Okuma Pez Vela
Reel= Okuma Sea Demon
Main line= 50lb mono
Leader= Trik Fish clear 50lb flouro
Hook= Mustad 7/0 octopus
Bait= 4" fat thread fin
Fish caught= Tarpon 6' plus or minus between 130-150lb
https://youtu.be/_6XOKxNqJDc
mrpj1972
Tournament Venue Organizer / Forum Moderator

Re: My Tarpon!